In this contract position, we are looking for that rare designer / developer person. You must be a designer and a developer.
Please follow the directions closely if you're interested!
Do you love designing and creating custom website solutions using WordPress?
Would you describe yourself as someone who:
Is a top performer who loves design and coding challenges? An organized, self-starter who takes design and coding tasks and runs with them? Loves to help people and make their lives easier? Design the crap out of a website with design principles and unique concepts? And believe in good usability and aesthetics?
If this describes you, then we need to talk.
In this role, you’ll be responsible for creating custom websites. We’re constantly getting new projects with new challenges and the opportunity to help with on-going clients as they update their sites with new features because people love working with us.
By custom websites, I mean designing a site that will be built into a simple, barebones WordPress theme. It cannot look like a template, it has to be creative, that’s why people work with us. You really need to be creative and know your way WordPress. You have to be confident in what you design and build and take charge of the solutions you propose. Note that we use Beaver Builder with a combination of light custom coding.
We welcome you to join our 100% remote (always) team that works on flexible schedules. You can work when you want, from where you want, as long as we have some overlap with Pacific time.
Our excellent culture embraces diversity and inclusion and encourages a healthy work/life balance. You will also enjoy positive team experiences and benefits like:
- Quarterly remote parties, let the fun begin!
- Quarterly snack boxes right to your front door.
- The occasional, random virtual happy hour.
- When times are good, a yearly in-person meet-up.
- Yearly courses to improve your skills.
- Quarterly bonuses for work done well.
- Excellent pay scale.
From Your Future Teammates:
I love this team; I'm so grateful to be part of it still.
- Corina P
I think work and the people who work here saved me this past year, encouraged me to grow, and continue to do so without even knowing it. Grateful always.
- Danielle I
I can't say enough good things about working here. It has been a pleasure. I brag about SHD all the time.
- Natalie M
I appreciate this team and how everyone shows up for one another, the clients, the work, all of it. I feel everyone's heart, and it's nice to be a part of a team like this one.
- Diane P
What you will be doing:
- Planning, designing, and building websites from scratch. Again, we mostly use Beaver Builder.
- Helping with existing websites, adding new features, building out new pages, enhancing functionality.
- Receiving and providing feedback on your design work and the work of others.
- Quality testing your own work and other dev work.
- Launching websites when complete.
- Improving our web development processes and making things more efficient.
- Occasionally meeting with clients and/or corresponding with clients.
- Help in other design areas like social media, newsletters, and general graphic design projects.
- Helping your teammates when they get stuck in any of the above areas.
Skills & Abilities
What we would love to see in this role:
Teamwork & Collaboration:
- Loves to partake in and contribute to team happiness and culture.
- Finds joy in helping people, whether a teammate or a client.
- Is a strong communicator, both written and orally.
- Enjoys working with complex concepts and simplifying them.
Accountability & Integrity:
- Takes charge when something needs to be done, takes care of it.
- Geeks out over WordPress and its possibilities.
- Proactively sets expectations when managing projects so that everyone is on the same page and tasks are delivered on time.
- Believes in under-promising and over-delivering.
- Believes that excellent communication is at the heart of everything.
- Owns mistakes, learns, and grows from them.
- Avoids blame when a teammate makes mistakes and helps them own, learn and grow from them.
Creativity & Curiosity:
- Loves to take risks and try new things.
- Enjoys thinking through all the possibilities with the team to deliver what the clients need, not just what they want.
- Embraces the unknown and can adapt to shifts in priorities.
- Looks outside the day to day to ensure continuous learning.
Quality & Excellence:
- Holds themself and teammates to high standards when it comes to producing products or services.
- Has real experience designing and building websites, creating graphics and coding.
- Has a desire to grow a small business and grow with the small business.
Your experience will look something like this:
- Five to Seven (or more) years of experience designing and building websites.
- You have taken websites from concept to completion and understand the whole cycle (including DNS setups).
- You know WordPress inside and out and are innately familiar with the technical complexities.
- You have worked with (or are willing to learn) Beaver Builder.
- You have worked remotely (ha, hasn't everyone now?).
- You are used to wearing many hats (remember, small business).
Equal Opportunity & Dedication to Diversity
We are committed to creating a diverse environment and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. More details here.
One Last Thing
This is a technical, ongoing contract position, possibly 10-15 hours of work per week or more depending on workflow and if you're open to working with Beaver Builder. There is potential to switch to part time or full time at some point in the future, should that interest you.
Individuals only, no agencies or teams, please.
Here is what to do next:
No agencies or teams, please.
- Fill out the form, linked below.
- When entering your Full Name, include "- Bluemelon" at the end.
- In your Cover Letter, address the following items:
- Describe your marketing and website experience.
- What are your favorite WordPress plugins?
- Where do you go for design inspiration?
- What are your career goals, and what would make you happiest?
- What are your three most vital attributes?
- Why are you suited to this position precisely?
- How would you rate yourself on a scale of 1-5 for each of these:
- PHP, WP, JS, CSS, LESS, Graphic Design
- How do you feel about Beaver Builder or the like?
- What is your hourly rate?
- Describe yourself in one GIF.
Here is the form: https://forms.monday.com/forms/fcd04753b2fdc14c7ae1dcf09264fc15?r=use1